Chicken with Rice
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 and 1/2 cups
- 1 cup converted brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup cooked skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot on the stove and bring them to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once the water is absorbed, fluff the mixture with a fork and serve hot.
- Place all ingredients (except peas) in a large pan and cover with foil). Bake at 375 degrees until the water is absorbed (about 40 minutes).
- Add peas during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Allow to set for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Serves 4. Each serving contains 237 calories, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 2 g sugar, and 12 g protein.
- Each serving has 9% DV vitamin A, 18% DV vitamin C, 3% DV calcium, and 11% DV iron.
- You can garnish this dish with sliced green onions, fresh chopped cilantro, and/or pico de gallo.
- You can replace the converted brown rice with the same amount of brown rice.
And here's a brand-new handout with the recipe! Get your copy today!
We're here to help you look your very best right now, so don't miss these featured cooking resources from the Nutrition Education Store!
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.