Winter is often a challenging time in the kitchen for salads because we do not have all of the beautiful ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and fresh herbs that are present in summer. But the good news is that we do have fresh lettuce and root vegetables. I find that putting all of the aromatic flavors into the salad bowl helps add a lot of delicious flavor varieties.
This salad has many delicious ingredients that are easy to prep quickly:
- 4 or 5 cups of red leaf lettuce
- 3 cups of raw peppery arugula lettuce
- 1 golden beet, sliced on a mandolin
- 1 carrot, sliced on a Japanese mandolin
- freshly grated ginger (grate with grater or microplane)
- 1 small red pepper
- 2-3 radishes
- handful of dried pineapple bits
Wow - that is a lot of flavor already. So there is no need for heavy bottled dressing. Rather, we can toss the salad with a spray of avocado oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar glaze.
Put it on a dinner plate and you have a winter salad masterpiece!
FAH Premium Members can download the recipe here, complete with a video link, photo, and nutrition analysis. Use the PDF button on top right to make a printable handout!