Arroz Con Pollo Skillet
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 2 cups
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 cup water
- Halve the chicken breasts lengthwise, then cut each half in half horizontally, so that they are cut into quarters. Dredge each piece in seasoned flour, then sauté them in hot olive oil in an oven-safe skillet. Flip the pieces and then add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Sauté those briefly, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover the skillet and place it in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook for 30-40 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Serve hot.
- Serves 4. Each serving contains 223 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 38 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 5 g sugar, and 16 g protein.
- Each serving also has 25% DV vitamin A, 95% DV vitamin C, 4% DV calcium, and 11% DV iron.
- This dish is especially fun to eat when served in large pasta bowls, as pictured above.
- Be sure to use an oven-safe skillet!
- Seasoned flour is just flour with a bit of salt and pepper. It can sometimes contain paprika or dried herbs. You can even make your own!
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.