Did you know that May is Salad Month? Here at Food and Health Communications, we absolutely ADORE salads. Celebrate with us by trying some of these fun salad recipes. Remember, salad doesn't have to be dull, flavorless, "rabbit food" -- it can be tasty, filling, and fun!
Featured Salad One: Farmers' Market Salad
Farmers' Markets are getting into full swing, and what better way to celebrate than with this quick and refreshing salad? The potatoes, lettuce, and green beans provide a variety of textures, while onion, herbs, and vinegar make the flavor leap right off the plate!
- 1 pound baby new potatoes, halved
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 8 cups dark salad greens, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Dill, dried or chopped fresh, to taste
- Boil potatoes until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Microwave green beans in a covered container until crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Toss all ingredients together and serve on a chilled plate.
- Add a little Greek yogurt for a tangy, creamy twist.
- Serves 6.
- Each 2 cup serving contains 132 calories, 2 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, and 13 mg sodium.
- Each serving also contains 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 0 g sugar, and 2 g protein.
Featured Salad Two: Indigo Beet Salad
This gorgeous salad is sure to be a show-stopper! Who could resist richly colored beets nestled on a bed of fresh greens?
- 4 cooked beets, sliced
- 3 cups sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place strips of cabbage and beets in a bowl. Season with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and pepper. Toss well.
- Arrange the salad on a platter. Place feta cheese on top of the salad and serve.
- This salad looks great when garnished with oranges and a few baby greens.
- Try a mix of red and yellow beets for an even brighter dish.
- Serves 8.
- Each 1/2 cup serving has 96 calories, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, and 161 mg sodium.
- Each serving also has 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 0 g sugar, and 2 g protein.
Featured Salad Three: Quick and Fancy Salad
This salad is tasty, simple, and gorgeous, which makes it the perfect starter for your next dinner party.
- 8 cups mixed leafy greens
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 diced pear
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp pecans
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Place the greens in a large salad bowl.
- Top them with the tomatoes, pear, onion, cheese, and pecans.
- Place on individual plates and garnish with lemon wedges and black pepper.
- Serve with a cruet of olive oil to the side. Allow guests to serve themselves and top their own salad with fresh lemon juice and a dash of olive oil.
- No pecans? Try walnuts or almonds!
- This salad is also great when dried fig slices and dried cranberries replace the cheese.
- Serves 6.
- Each 1 and 1/2 cup serving contains 96 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 6 mg cholesterol, and 85 mg sodium.
- Each serving also has 9 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, and 2 g protein.
Looking for more salad fun? Check out the resources in our Nutrition Education Store. We've collected a few bestsellers below...