June is Papaya Month, and it's definitely not too late to celebrate! Papayas are creamy fruits that are rich in vitamins, especially vitamin A and vitamin C. They are fantastic additions to a healthy eating plan, so why not showcase them during their month to shine? Here are a few ideas...
Share Papaya Trivia!
Starting out with a trivia item is a great way to break the ice during a presentation or cooking demonstration. Here are some fun facts about papayas...
- The papaya, also known as a pawpaw, is native to Central and South America. Now it's grown in other continents as well!
- India and Brazil are the top producers of papayas today.
- Papayas contain chitinases, which are associated with the latex-fruit allergy syndrome.
- Papain, which is present in green papayas, can tenderize meat and is actually a component of several meat tenderizers.
Offer a Papaya Quiz!
Another fun way to celebrate Papaya Month is with a quiz! The quiz below features information from papaya trivia and is available as a printable handout at the bottom of this post!
1. True or false? The papaya is also known as a pawpaw.
2. Fill in the blank: The papaya is native to _____.
A. North America
B. Central and South America
3. One small papaya contains roughly how much vitamin C?
4. Which of the following nutrients is not present in a papaya?
A. Vitamin A
B. Vitamin B6
C. Vitamin C
D. Vitamin D
5. True or false? Papayas contain chitinases, which are associated with the latex-fruit allergy syndrome.
6. Fill in the blank: Green papayas are rich in papain, which can be used to __________.
A. Heal wounds
B. Grow new papayas
C. Tenderize meat
D. All of the above
- A. True
- B. Central and South America
- C. 160%
- D. Vitamin D
- A. True
- C. Tenderize meat
Give a Papaya Month Cooking Demonstration!
Demonstrate how well you know food holidays and trends with a timely Papaya Month cooking demo! For a fantastic recipe that makes a simple and engaging cooking demonstration, check out the members-only post Papaya Month Cooking Demonstration, which features lots of practical tips and tricks, along with a papaya recipe handout.
And if you're not a member, consider signing up today to access hundreds of great articles and handouts like that one!
Finally, here's the Papaya Quiz handout that you can use however you'd like!
PS: Here are some other fantastic June resources! Remember, June is also Dairy Month, Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, and Men's Health Month!
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 8 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.