June is Papaya Month, and it's definitely not too late to celebrate! Papayas are creamy fruits that are rich in vitamins, especially vitamin A and vitamin C. They are fantastic additions to a healthy eating plan, so why not showcase them during their month to shine? Here are a few ideas...
Share Papaya Trivia!
Starting out with a trivia item is a great way to break the ice during a presentation or cooking demonstration. Here are some fun facts about papayas...
- The papaya, also known as a pawpaw, is native to Central and South America. Now it's grown in other continents as well!
- India and Brazil are the top producers of papayas today.
- Papayas contain chitinases, which are associated with the latex-fruit allergy syndrome.
- Papain, which is present in green papayas, can tenderize meat and is actually a component of several meat tenderizers.
Offer a Papaya Quiz!
Another fun way to celebrate Papaya Month is with a quiz! The quiz below features information from papaya trivia and is available as a printable handout at the bottom of this post!
1. True or false? The papaya is also known as a pawpaw.
2. Fill in the blank: The papaya is native to _____.
A. North America
B. Central and South America
3. One small papaya contains roughly how much vitamin C?
4. Which of the following nutrients is not present in a papaya?
A. Vitamin A
B. Vitamin B6
C. Vitamin C
D. Vitamin D
5. True or false? Papayas contain chitinases, which are associated with the latex-fruit allergy syndrome.
6. Fill in the blank: Green papayas are rich in papain, which can be used to __________.
A. Heal wounds
B. Grow new papayas
C. Tenderize meat
D. All of the above
- A. True
- B. Central and South America
- C. 160%
- D. Vitamin D
- A. True
- C. Tenderize meat
Give a Papaya Month Cooking Demonstration!
Demonstrate how well you know food holidays and trends with a timely Papaya Month cooking demo! For a fantastic recipe that makes a simple and engaging cooking demonstration, check out the members-only post Papaya Month Cooking Demonstration, which features lots of practical tips and tricks, along with a papaya recipe handout.
And if you're not a member, consider signing up today to access hundreds of great articles and handouts like that one!
Finally, here's the Papaya Quiz handout that you can use however you'd like!
PS: Here are some other fantastic June resources! Remember, June is also Dairy Month, Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, and Men's Health Month!
[shopify embed_type="product" shop="nutrition-education-store.myshopify.com" product_handle="calcium-bulletin-board-kit" show="all"]
[shopify embed_type="product" shop="nutrition-education-store.myshopify.com" product_handle="fabulous-fruits-and-vegetables-poster" show="all"]
[shopify embed_type="product" shop="nutrition-education-store.myshopify.com" product_handle="mens-health-bootcamp-powerpoint-and-handouts-on-cd" show="all"]