Here you will find 24 top resolutions for ringing in the New Year. You can use 2 every month to make a big difference in your health. FMI visit choosemyplate.gov and learn how you can eat better and exercise more! They even have a SuperTracker Tool for keeping track of calories in (eating) and calories out (exercise).
1. Exercise 30 minutes or more most days of the week. Find ways to stay motivated with physical activity and keep it enjoyable.
2. Be more active around the house. Cleaning, cooking, and gardening all burn twice the calories as sitting.
3. Sit less. Instead of watching TV, clean the house and run errands. Instead of watching the kids play sports, walk for half of their playing time. Instead of sitting for lunch, walk the mall or a park.
4. Cook more and eat out less.
5. Find eating out choices that are lower in calories and fat. Where can you get more low-fat items like soups, salads, beans and rice, fish, pasta, etc?
6. Learn to cook and eat with less fat.
7. Get 4.5 cups of fruits and vegetables each day.
8. Eat beans at least 3 times per week.
9. Eat fish twice per week.
10. Switch to low-fat or non-fat dairy products.
11. Reduce the amount of cheese that you eat. Cheese is the number one source of saturated fat in most American’s diets.
12. Become aware of the calories you are eating - especially in treats and snacks.
13. For everything you eat, find a way to make the portion a little smaller or to choose a more low-cal option.
14. Include strength training in your schedule a couple of times a week. This could mean lifting weights at the gym, taking a class, working with resistance bands or trying Pilates.
15. Switch from refined grains to whole grains.
16. Eat a healthful breakfast every day.
17. Reduce the amount of sugary items that you eat. You will crave sweets less if you eat them less.
18. Drink more water instead of soda and other sugary drinks.
19. Take healthful snacks with you instead of making poor spontaneous choices when you are hungry. Fruit is always the best snack choice.
20. Get more sleep.
21. Wash your hands more frequently.
22. Control the consumption of alcoholic beverages you consume. Learn to drink one or two and then switch to something else that is non-alcoholic.
23. Concentrate on eating more high-fiber, low- cal foods instead of refined foods that are high in calories and low in nutrients.
24. Plan active vacations and weekends for you and your family or loved ones.
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.